Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Commuter Game and MOH!?

So I've found the place where it is pretty much impossible to practice all the things I've been preaching about lately: UNION STATION.

Really looking forward to getting home for a night to make some plans for my sister's wedding (!), I tried to not let the rush of the 5 o'clock Chicago rush hour get to me as I calmly packed my bag and headed to catch a Metra. Being almost too familiar with the Friday afternoon commuting game, and desperately not wanting to become a part of it, I kept reminding myself to take my time and that I could get on any train that was convenient for me, NO RUSH. This lasted about a whole 10 minutes. . .

Let me explain a little bit about how Chicago commuter rush hour works:

Everyone gets done around 5:00, heads toward the "L", and hopes that they don't see their train approaching as they walk up to the station. If you DO see your train start to pull up before getting to the platform (WHICH is more often than not, unfortunately) there is almost nothing a person can do to keep themselves from becoming panicked, literally feeling inclined to bound up or down the exponentially steep stairs and do everything in their power to MAKE THAT TRAIN.

Why is this the case, you ask? Well, although "L" trains are usually no more than 5 minutes apart during rush hour, that 5 minutes could be the difference between catching the Metra you had your mind set on taking home all day and missing it. And, if you miss that train, it ultimately means that you are starting your evening at least a half-an-hour and even up to an hour later than you had originally planned.

This, probably seeming quite silly, is the complex that consistently seemed to hold me hostage during the year that I commuted back and forth from school: nearly 2 hours each way.

So, again, wanting to avoid this too-close-to-home feeling at all costs I tried my hardest to not have my mind made up on which train I would take before I got to the station and kept telling myself I would make whatever train was there and convenient for me.

As the "L" brought me closer to the station I already felt inclined to walk up to the "L" driver and tell him to "Hurry up! I have a train to catch". The train always seems to travel so much slower on the days you need to be somewhere. . .  I also realized I was already bouncing my knee in a nervous tick, systematically going back and forth between checking my watch and how many stops I had left before I could be free and make my mad dash to Union.

When I finally got to Quincy I darted off the train, into a couple people who literally walked right into me, and began my walk to the station. As my walk began to accelerate into a power walk I knew I was completely sucked in by this point. I began to get the "Jackson Tunnel Vision" where all you care about is finding the quickest path in between all of these people walking ahead of me (too slowly, I might add. . . ) and make it to your train on time.

Also knowing that I still had to purchase my ticket I was feeling even more hopeless in my efforts to make my train.

Long story short, after standing in line for what-seemed-like-forever 5 minutes, I got my ticket and made my train with probably a minute to spare. In my defense this train was the last rush train (express) and the last one heading to Aurora for another 50 minutes. . .

My commuter power-walker shin splints today provide further evidence that I, indeed, became too caught up in the mess of commuting yesterday.

So I am officially still on a search to find the path of least resistance when it comes to taking the Metra and dealing with Union Station but, in the mean time, onto bigger and better news:

Last night Robyn asked me to be her Maid of Honor!! Hearing about the  proposal almost a week ago I have been so excited for Robyn in Jimmy and it has seemed so surreal but, after seeing them together last night and spending time with the engaged-to-be, it really started to sink in. We were all playing a game of Mad Gab when Robyn decided to "make up one of her own" and had me try to figure it out....

Here's what it looked like:


(If you don't get it read it slowly once and then try to say it faster and faster until you hear what it says. . .)
It took me  a couple of tries but when I finally figured it out I was so surprised and honored.

Immediately after I, of course, said yes, we signed Robyn up for a Pinterest account and spent the rest of the evening pinning and gathering ides for the big day!!

I am so incredibly happy for Robyn and Jimmy and cannot wait to be a part of their MUCH deserved and special day. I love you both!

Can't wait to start planning!!! <3

Enjoy the beautiful Saturday, everyone.

Go treat yourself to that pumpkin spice latte you've been thinking about all week.. :)

K



2 comments:

  1. Commuter woes -- SO TRUE! I used to do the same thing when I worked in the city, like 400 years ago or so . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration!
    Glad I could pick you up at the station,
    since HOME was your destination!

    ReplyDelete