Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Who ever first advised to "stop and smell the roses" knew what they were talking about!

Today, instead of mechanically walking down to the weight room, I decided to work out by talking a walk/run along the lake shore. Considering the underpass is literally no more than two short blocks away from my apartment, I'm surprised this is the first time I made the effort to get out and explore a bit. Once I was out and well into a perfectly suitable New Mastersounds tune, I realized just how inspired I felt. Trying to keep myself from smiling and looking a little too touristy to all the other seasoned lake shore runners, I tried to blend in but couldn't help stopping and taking pictures or soaking in the scenery for a minute.

With my lack of attempts to ever break the normalcy of living in a big city: constantly feeling pushed, rushed and glared at, it was so refreshing to switch up my routine a little bit. Running through the museum campus, along the lake shore, up to Buckingham Fountain...it was such a good reminder that there is so much more to Chicago than "on the L, off the L" or "up the elevator, down the elevator".

Getting into a groove with my day-to-day activities is helpful and sometimes even necessary for me to keep everything in check. However, once I realize I'm doing nothing more than going through the motions, it's time to take a step back.

Being a type-A personality (sigh...) it's so easy for me to get caught up in the hustle bustle of such a big city. Changing my perspective this morning was a great eye-opener for me. It just goes to show that if you take the time to LET yourself break free of your "oh-so-necessary" schedule, your "already-trail-blazed" path-to-work or your "barista-has-my-coffee-order-memorized-I-come-here-so much" Cafe, you may be surprised at how refreshing it is.

And now, by means of showing off what a wonderful (until winter rolls around..) city I live in, cue pictures!






Best part is, Mom is coming to visit tomorrow night and I get to do it all over again :)

Until next time,

K

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pics, Karissa. And I do believe you may have been doing the "mom face"!

    ReplyDelete